Monday, January 23, 2012

The Way You Were



My mother at maybe twenty years old in maybe the year 1948. The original copy of this photo is stained in places and I used a photo editor to clean it up as much as I could. As you can see she has been posed to conspicuously show her wedding ring. This makes me think the photo was taken soon after her marriage to my father but I may be wrong. This photo could have been taken as late as 1952. The ring my mother is wearing in this photo is the same ring that she is wearing on her right hand in the 1968 photo. My sister Tara has that ring now which pleases me.  Something my mother cherished has been passed down.

The other interesting thing about this photo is that my aunt, my father's sister, turned this black and white print into a color print. Hand coloring photos was a big hobby in the 1940's and 1950's and it looks like my aunt got caught up in it.  We have some other photos that she hand colored including this one of me and this one of my father.

I love the bright red lipstick my aunt applied to my mother's lips in this photo but I wonder why she did not also color my mother's fingernails to match.  Maybe it was because she knew that doing just would not be a true statement of my mother's personality.  I don't remember my mother ever wearing nail polish and she certainly isn't wearing any in this photo.

9 comments:

Kay Dennison said...

Good Lord!!!  Reminds me of my mom and her sisters!!!!!  Mom explained that one had a choice of three lipstick colors in those war and post-war days:  light red, medium red, and dark red which means I would have never worn lipstick.  LOL    

la peregrina said...

I never knew that about lipstick during the war years. Interesting. 

Colleen said...

What a great photo! My mom who was about the same age, only wore red lipstick.
Nice job cleaning up the photo. It's a lot of work but so totally worth it.

la peregrina said...

Thanks, Colleen, you are right, it was so worth it. :)

Ally Bean said...

I didn't know that people hand colored b&w photos as a hobby.  Fascinating. 

Blue Witch said...

Interesting.

I hadn't heard of that colouring technique either.

I wonder what medium they used to colour the photos?

la peregrina said...

There were at least three different techniques, BW, and Kodak made hand-coloring kits for its customers. I found a website that has copied a 1935 article about hand-coloring photos for amateur photographers who developed their own photos.  It reads like a science project.  It also has photos of the types of hand-coloring kits you could buy in England.

http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/Colour_Printing.html#anchorByHand

I can see why the kits became so popular.  It made the process so much easier.

Blue Witch said...

What a fascinating site - thanks for looking it up!

Tara said...

Great post, Colleen! I would have been doing it too... I would love to do it now!