Wednesday, November 23, 2011

The Umbrella Man

"In historical research there may be a dimension similar to the quantum dimension in physical reality."
-John Updike


 

On the day John F. Kennedy was assassinated a man holding an umbrella was filmed opening his umbrella at the exact spot and instant President Kennedy was hit by Oswald's second bullet.  He then closed his umbrella and walked away. Josiah Thompson, philosopher and author of one of the first Kennedy assassination conspiracy books, Six Seconds In Dallas (1963), discusses how quickly historical research can jump down the rabbit hole in this six minute film by Errol Morris.

2 comments:

Ally Bean said...

I'm not sure that I even care anymore about those sorts of conspiracy issues.  [If I did at all to begin with.]  JFK is just as dead, regardless of who did what.  And this is the country we live in now-- after his death.  Focus on today's probs, not yesterday's what-ifs.  Too pragmatic?   

la peregrina said...

Nope, not at all.  I found this interesting because he points out something I think apply to both scientific  and historical research. Research that is tilted toward the biases of the person doing the research.  "I have a theory and I am going to show or prove it is correct," thinking.