Thursday, September 09, 2010

A Howling Good Time

One of Duke's major joys in life is to join the neighbor's dogs in howling at the noon siren.  He never starts the howling, just runs over to the fence to add his voice to the others when they begin to vocalize.  Yesterday I was out in the backyard with Duke when the noon siren went off .  He looked up, listening intently, but the neighbor's dogs must have been inside because there was no other noise except for the siren's wail. Duke looked at me expectantly so I lifted my head skyward and gave a howl.  Duke joined in and continued howling for a few seconds longer than I then tapered off to silence. He stared at me and again I started howling while Duke followed my lead.  Compared to me, Duke was a howling virtuoso giving out a melody of  "Ooooww, ooooww, ooooww"s to my one long, "Oooooww." We did this three time and each time Duke waited for me to start before joining in.  Does that make me the leader of the pack?

No comments: