Wednesday, June 02, 2010

All Of That Time In Heaven To Spend...

One of my favorite singing groups is The Roches, three sisters (Maggie, Terri, and Suzzy) who produce beautiful music. I bought their first album, The Roches, back in 1979 on a whim and never regretted the money I spent on it. Not only do they sing like angels:




Maggie wrote one of the most haunting songs I've ever heard:


(words & music by Margaret A Roche)

One in Louisiana
one who travels around
one of 'em mainly stays in heart-throb town

I am not their main concern
they are lonely too
I am just an arrow passing through

When they look into my eyes
I know what to do

I make sure the words I say are true

When they send me off at dawn
pay the driver my fare
they know I am goin' down somewhere

O the married men
the married men
never would have had a good time again
if it wasn't for the married men

One says he'll come after me
another one'll drop me a line
one says all o' my agony is in my mind

They know what is wrong with me
none of 'em wants my hand
soloin' in my traveling wedding band

O the married men
the married men
makes me feel like a girl again
to run with the married men

One of 'ems got a little boy
other one he's got two
one of 'ems wife is one week overdue

I know these girls they don't like me
but I am just like them
pickin' a crazy apple off a stem

Givin' it to the married men
the married men
all o' that time in hell to spend
for kissin' the married men


All of that time in Heaven to spend listening to the Roche sisters.



( You can find other videos of the Roche sister's television appearances here including a performance of their version of The Married Men from Soundstage.)

No comments: