Monday, May 28, 2007

You're A Grand Old Flag

-Title of George M. Cohan song
(Audio recording and lyrics)



Today is Memorial Day. A day when we Americans honor all Americans who have died in the service of our country. This has turned into a very patriotic holiday with small American flags being thrust into the ground next to almost every grave of every one of our war dead. A simple and touching way to honor the men and women who have died fighting under that flag.

My sister is back in this country and celebrating Memorial Day for the first time in many years. She has fallen in love with the flag again and wrote me this:

I'm in America and I am totally loving it and I bought cheesy velour American flag bows (made in China) and put them on the gate and front door and I bought red garland with little stars with the American flag pattern...i really do like the red white and blue American combo.


She also sent me a link to this, a printed T-shirts company, and told me to check out the patriotic section. That was an eye opener. What is considered patriotic these days makes me shake my head in disappointment. Some examples:

1. The Constitution
Humm, I did not know the words "love it or leave it" were part of the Constitution.

2. One Nation Under God
Oh My God! No pun intended. Can I get the KKK version of this?

3. Love Women
Show both your disrespect for women and the flag at the same time!

4. Gun Control
*sigh*

It is amazing how many people confuse being patriotic with being an aggressive, arrogant, insensitive, butt-head.

No comments: