Thursday, May 17, 2007

Traveling Through Time and Inner Space

I've been sick this week with a head cold that has migrated into my ears. I am taking decongestants and antihistamines in an effort to keep any infection from developing. These medications are making me drowsy and light-headed so for most of the week have been reading and sleeping.

So far I have read Amy Patrica Meade's, Million Dollar Baby, a murder mystery set in the 1930's, Ellen Burstyn's autobiography, Lessons In Becoming Myself, and Conrad Allen's (aka Edward Marston), Murder on the Celtic, a murder mystery set in 1910.

The murder mysteries were a journey to another time and place. Burstyn's book was also a journey but a different kind of journey- a journey into another person's inner space. The book is both a memoir and the story of her "quest for greater self-knowledge and deeper spiritual perception." I don't know if it was the effect of the drugs but reading this book was a blast of fresh air for my mind and spirit.

I just started reading Norman Doidge's The Brain That Changes Itself, described by Oliver Sacks as a book that ...is a remarkable and hopeful portrait of the endless adaptability of the human brain. When I finish that I will go on to Sue Monk Kidd's The Mermaid Chair, a book that has been described by author Connie May Fowler as...a wonderful novel about mothers and daughters and the transcendent power of love, all the while masterfully illuminating the feminine face of God.

Reading is food for the brain and soul. This week I seem to be enjoying a smorgasbord.

No comments: