Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Sweet Dreams, Baby

-Dream Baby recorded by Roy Orbison

I was at a drive-in Psychic in Denver. The small building was set in the green space across from that big brown apartment building on South Marion Parkway just north of Washington Park. The psychic told me I was heart sad. I felt very sad after he told me this and walked away. Then I walked back and asked him if that was the same as being soul sad. There was another psychic sitting right next to him and the two men exchanged glances and smiled. They smiled in that way adults do when children talk about something they really don't know anything about. The first psychic turned to me and told me that no one can be soul sad. The second psychic said, "But when they are, they are evil."

Then I woke up.

UPDATE:
Funny, I did not think of this as a sad dream. I was sad after I was told I was heart sad because I knew this was true. I was a little chagrined by the fact that my broken heart could be so easily seen. After thinking about this dream some more I now realize I went back to ask if someone could be soul sad because my feeling of heart sadness was so profound. This deep of a hurt could not just be the heart breaking- it must be the soul breaking. I now see that the men could have been amused by my question just because I asked it. When the first man said no one could be soul sad I think he meant I could never be soul sad because I did not have a broken soul. The second man's answer makes me think that those who we consider to be evil people do evil things because their souls are broken. My soul is not broken therefore I could never be evil.

(That last thought is either the thought of a lapsed Catholic worrying about her soul or the thought of the next Jim Jones. )

No comments: