Monday, February 05, 2007

Are You Ready For No Football?

And another Super Bowl in the books. This year I was not emotionally invested in the game. I think I have reached football burn out. The football season starts in August (pregames), goes though September to November ("real" games), enters the playoff games in December, and winds-up at the beginning of February with the Super Bowl. By that point I no longer cared.

The game did start off thrillingly with Chicago running the ball back 92 yards for a touchdown on the opening play. It stayed exciting only because the game was being played in a pouring rainstorm. Lots of fumbles causing the ball to exchange hands multiple times. As game progressed the Bears (Chicago) got worse and worse and the Colts (Indianapolis) got better and better ending with the Colts winning. The Colts win must have been bittersweet for their coach Tony Dungy after the death of his son last year. He had a big smile on his face but I could not help thinking about his son and wondering what was going through the man's mind.

As usually the Super Bowl was surrounded by lots of hype with the commercials being talked about long before the players even reached Miami. And that is all it turned out to be, hype, not one of the commercials really grabbed me. None ever came close to the Apple 1984 commercial from Super Bowl XVIII.

Then there was the half-time show, which each year get bigger and bigger. This year the musical act was Prince, the little man with the big talent. At one point he sang, appropriately, Purple Rain. For me that was the best part of the televised game.

I don't know people, I think the Super Bowl has turned into Ikea furniture. Looks good on the surface but underneath it is just particle board.

The best part of the Super Bowl for me in general has always been hanging out with a bunch of people I enjoy being around. That means this year's Super Bowl, like almost all of them, was great.

(Oh, if you haven't heard yet, some people want to make the day after Super Bowl an official holiday like New Year's Day.)

No comments: