Thursday, December 28, 2006

Non-holiday Trivia

-A hamlet is a village without a church and a town is not a city until it has a cathedral.

The above quote is interesting to me because I've always wondered if I lived in a hamlet, village, or a town. Now I know I don't live in a hamlet because there are churches here but what am I living in? A village or a town? How does a village make the jump to being called a town? As for the difference between a town and a city? I"ve always thought the difference is in the way cars are parked on each one's main street. Towns have diagonal parking spaces- where the cars are parked nose into the curb. In cities the parking spots are lined up one after another next to the curb with each car's nose right behind the rear end of the car in front of it.

If asked, since we have diagonal parking spaces on Main Street, I would say I live in a town but in the phone book we are listed as a city. I still say I live in a town but one with delusions of grandeur.

No comments: