Monday, June 06, 2005

Is Tom Cruise Loosing it? Not Completely

Lots of talk about Tom Cruise this month after his appearance on Oprah, his criticism of Brook Shields, and his complaint that ""the psychs are putting everyone on drugs."

I must say his behavior on Oprah was disturbingly similar to the behavior of his character (Frank T.J. Mackey) in the movie Magnolia. Compare the movie scenes where Frank is being interviewed by the African-American women reporter with the tape of Cruise's interview with Oprah Winfrey and you will see what I mean. As for his cheap shot at Brook Shields, he can criticize her all he wants to after he goes through a postpartum depression himself. But the thought behind "the psychs are putting everyone on drugs" statement, that I can understand.

Doctors in this country are quick to give out drugs. I don't know how many times I've talked to someone with an older family member who's health has been getting worse and worse simply because that person is on so many drugs, most which were given to counteract the side effects of the drugs previously given, that it has become harmful to their over all soundness. I also think Cruise is right when he complains that doctors are quick to give children drugs. Heck, South Park did an episode about two doctors prescribing Ritalin for all the children in town after "discovering" they all had ADD.

What I don't understand is why doctors are quick to hand out drugs in the first place. Well, yes I do, it's easier to treat the symptom than to find out the cause of it. I think we should be looking at the food we are eating. Have you read the ingredients list on the packaging for most of the prepackaged food we eat? Almost all have chemicals added to them, chemicals to stop spoilage, chemicals to enhance color, chemicals to add sweetness, chemicals to add flavor, and chemicals that are thickening agents and emulsifiers. I for one get migraines when I eat or drink anything with Aspartame it and I don't take antihistamies because they make me feel wired and anxious at the same time. Who knows how our children's bodies are reacting to the chemicals that we feed them from the time they start eating solids.

No comments: