Monday, January 03, 2005

Travel Notes 5

Yesterday we did the one thing I planned on doing while I was here in Amesterdam. We went to the Van Gogh Museum. In addition to over 200 hundred paintings by Van Gogh there are some by Monet, Toulouse-Lautrec, Manet, Gauguin, Picasso, Seurat, and other artists. I was thrilled to see one sculpture by Camille Claudel in the Bing exhibit. The museum discribes the Bing exhibit as, "a major exhibition on the emergence of the French Art Nouveau movement viewed from the perspective of art dealer and collector Siegfried Bing (1838-1905)." That exhibit was an extra treat.

I have seen most of these works in art books but seeing them in person is just a different experience. It's like the difference between going to the zoo and and seeing a live wolf as compared to seeing a stuffed one at a natural history museum. I was so excited by what I had seen that I sat down and wrote my husband the following e-mail:

Good morning, honey.
We just got back from the Van Gogh Museum, it was worth the wait. Can we buy one of his paintings? It is 5:00pm and I am a little tired. I am still not sleeping well. I went to bed at 9:30pm and woke up at around 2:00am and could not get back to sleep until after 4:00am. I will be adjusted to Amsterdam time about the day I leave to come home. Still having a great time and wish you were here.


Later in the day I got the following message in reply:

Of course we may NOT buy a Van Gogh.  They must be stolen.  Get (your sister) to do it just in case.

No comments: