Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Baby, I'm Back! *

See you in September
See you when the summer's through...
Will I see you in September
Or lose you
To a summer love?

-See You In September by S. Wayne and S. Edward sung by The Tempos


Well, did everyone have a good summer? I did, thank you. Staying away from the blogging community wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. There were times I wanted to check other people's blogs or write about something that had happened in the world on my own blog but each time I managed to grab the thought by the throat and wrestle it into submission. The closer I got to the end of my time-out the harder it became but now the waiting is over and I'm back.

I've been mulling over how to jump back into this blogging thing and I thought I would begin by writing about some of the things I would have written about if I had been blogging this summer. But I also want to catch up on all the other blogs I usually read and I know that doing both will take some time so here is the plan. This week I spend my time reading blogs and next week I start writing again. So instead of my thoughts on the things that happened while I was gone I have found other thoughts that reflect mine and have linked to them. In no particular order:

1. In July the Democratic National Convention put on the same old high school pep rally as usual("We're going to win! We're going to win!"), only they had more money to spend than most high schools do.(The Republican convention is going on as I type-same show-different cast.) The most interesting part of the Democratic convention was the speech by Illinois State Senator Barack Obama. He started talking and it was "I Had A Dream" time. This is what a speech should be; one that gives you hope and touches your soul.

2. Ronald Reagan died.

3. The amazing Julia Child died.

4. Fay Wray died. For those of you too young to know, she was in the original King Kong.

5. The opening and closing ceremonies of the Olympics were wonderful. Just the way we (USA) would have done it if we (USA) had taste. The television coverage of it here was a different story.

6.(Sigh) George Bush. Just a couple of things here, not going to go over the same-old-same-old stuff.

First, from the "Civil Rights? You Don't Need No Stinking Civil Rights!" file.

Next, Michael Moore released a tape of Bush's nominee for head of the CIA, Porter Goss, talking about how he is unqualified to work for the CIA.

7. Only saw one new movie this summer but I seem to have had a good reason.

The Bad Review Revue at Defective Yeti :
June here and here.
July here.
August here, here and, here.

Finally, this quote from Anchorman director Adam McKay about actor Will Ferrell, "Will's a master at playing mediocre American men, quys who aren't as great as they think they are, like George W. Bush."

No comments: