Monday, April 12, 2004

Raw Toast, Buffalo Grass, Doggie Tails, Hot Dogs, Elton John, And Snow

- I had my niece visiting during part of her Spring break last week. The first morning she was here she put two pieces of bread in the toaster and pushed the toaster bar down. A few minutes later the bread popped up untoasted. I wondered if the toaster was broken but found my niece had set it at about -2 because she does not like her bread toasted, she only wants the bread a little crispy on the outside-raw toast.

-When we bought our house one of the first things we did was remove the 'regular' grass and replace it with buffalo grass. It's growing early this year and last week, the morning after it had rained a bit, I went outside and it looked like someone had lightly colored the lawn with a green Crayola crayon. I love Spring.

-The other day I walked into the living room and found the dogs lying on the floor sleeping. Kate got up when I came in and walked over to me for a little attention. I started petting her and telling her what a good dog she was when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I looked over at Emma and her tail was wagging. She was listening to me and just knew I was talking about her. Why can't people be like that? We sometimes have trouble hearing the good things that are said directly to our faces.

-A friend's mother had her freezer full of meat accidentally unplugged for about three weeks before she noticed it. Now three years later my husband has cleaned it out for her. Nobody else was willing to do it before now. It smelled as bad as you think it would and some of the meat had decomposed to a quivering gelatinous mass. Other pieces still had a solid shape but felt spongy. The rest had decomposed into a soupy liquid mixture that filled the bottom two inches of the freezer. Guess what? This isn't the gross part. The gross part is that the packages of hot dogs were pristine. They looked as if they were ready to go on the grill.

I know you vegetarians are feeling pretty happy about your decision not to eat meat at this point. And I know you omnivores are thinking, "Damn, I should stop eating meat."...... Naah, no you're not.

-I watched the movie Sliding Doors Saturday. Sometimes I had trouble understanding what John Hanna was saying because of his accent so I had the captions turned on. In one scene Elton John's Bennie and the Jets is playing on a boom box. For the lyrics, "She's got electric boots, a mohair suit," they wrote, "She's got electric boobs, a mohair suit." I'm sure a lot of people think that is what Elton is singing.

-It snowed last night. Six inches of it on the ground this morning. I do love Spring.

No comments: